“In the midst of ongoing workshops and the mass arrival of participating writers and local and foreign media were Indonesian and other volunteers from many countries – distinguishable by name tags fluttering about their necks in a variety of colours – who manned their stations, welcoming all. These are the members of the UWRF Volunteer Corp and the many shoulders upon which the Festival’s smooth running and thus its ultimate success rests.” (Chisato Hara, The Jakarta Post)
Volunteer applications for the 2016 Ubud Writers & Readers Festival have now closed. If you have already applied to volunteer with us, please refer to the timeline below for more information.
2016 APPLICATION TIMELINE
- Applications for 2016 volunteers open.
- September 4: Volunteer Registration close.
- From September 5: Successful applicants will be notified.
- From early October: Rosters (your work schedule) will be sent.
- October 25: Orientation Day. We will update volunteers of this time upon acceptance.
- After you have sent the registration form, please wait for our confirmation email, as we do not send individual ‘received’ emails at this stage.
- All applications go into a Selection Pool and a limited number will be short-listed. We will ask these applicants to email a small bio image (less than 100kb). A notification will also be sent to unsuccessful applicants throughout the process.
We can only accept a limited number of the most appropriate volunteers for each area. When all volunteer roles are filled, remaining applications will be put on a waiting list.
- Once your role is confirmed, we will send you the roster. We cannot change your role and roster. Should you need to cancel your role as a volunteer, you need to tell us before we send you your roster.
- The rosters will be sent out prior to the Festival.
It is not an easy or quick process to confirm, place roles, and create rosters, so please be sure that you have understood all the requirements, policies, and have had a look at our FAQs before you confirm.
- Upon confirmation, we will send a link to our Facebook Volunteers group so you can communicate with other volunteers straight away.
- Should you need a confirmation letter for your university saying that you will be attending the Festival as a volunteer, please let us know in advance. We cannot promise to accommodate all requests with short notice.
Volunteers will receive
- A 4 DAY PASS to the Main Program (please note that Special Events and workshops are extra and need to be purchased separately).
- A meal on volunteering days
- A Festival T-shirt and goodie bag
- Volunteer ID and appreciation Certificate
- Hospitality, a meeting place and problem solving centre at the Volunteer Base Camp (open 9 am – 5 pm)
- An invitation to the closing party
- Transport around venues on Festival days
- Shuttle bus will run from Casa Luna (Jl. Raya Sanggingan) to main venues based on a daily schedule
- Motorcycle taxis/ojek will be provided from Volunteer Base Camp
We do not provide
- Meals on non-volunteering days
- Flights or transport from/to Ubud
- Accommodation or any additional expenses
- Visa assistance or sponsorship
- Invitation to the Gala Opening and paid events other than those in the Main Program
- We try to look after our volunteers; give them the right information at the right time, put them in work areas which they will enjoy, and listen to their feedback as we go along.
- Volunteers can meet each other and their supervisors, ask questions, and receive their welcome ‘goodie bags’ during our Orientation Day which will be held prior to the Festival.
- Volunteers have their own meeting place, hospitality area, and problem-solving centre at Volunteer Base Camp.
- Supervisor roles are available for experienced volunteers.
Need more information? Download the Volunteer Information Sheet.