AAWP x UWRF20 Emerging Writers Prize
Are you an emerging writer based in Australasia? Would you like to travel to UWRF for an unforgettable literary experience, along with the opportunity to have your work published in Meniscus magazine?
In partnership with the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP), we are proud to announce the return of the AAWP x UWRF20 Emerging Writers Prize. Enter your short story or poem based on this year’s UWRF theme, ‘Mulat Sarira: Self-Reflection’, to take advantage of this excellent prize.
The winner will receive a 4-Day Main Program Pass to UWRF, accommodation for the duration of the Festival, and AUD $500 towards airfares. In addition, the winner will receive a one-year annual membership to the AAWP and fully subsidized conference fees to attend its annual conference, where they’ll be invited to read from their winning work. In addition, the editors at Meniscus will consider the work for publication.
Sound good? Read the details below and get writing!
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- This competition is open to emerging writers. Emerging writers will not have a full-length, single-authored, commercially published, print publication in poetry or prose, or a hybrid form crossing these boundaries. Emerging writers who have published in electronic format only, or who have published work in collections showcasing multiple authors, are eligible.
- The Prize opens on 28 November 2019 and closes at midnight on 31 July 2020. Late submissions will not be accepted. The winner will be announced on the UWRF website and the AAWP website no later than 30 September 2020.
- Entries must be in English.
- Entries should not exceed 30 lines (poetry) or 3000 words (prose).
- Entries should respond to the UWRF theme. The 2020 theme is ‘Mulat Sarira: Self-Reflection’.
- The entry should be formatted as follows—line spacing: 1.5, font size: 12-point, font: Times New Roman or Garamond.
- You may enter as many times as you wish. Subsequent entries incur a separate fee.
- The entry should be de-identified. The author’s name, or other identifying characteristics, should not appear on the submission. Judging is blind.
- Any entries that do not follow the rules will be disqualified. If an entry is disqualified no refund will be given.
- Entries may not be altered after they have been submitted.
- The UWRF/AAWP reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches the rules.
- The judges’ verdict is final. The judges will not enter into correspondence or discussion about the outcome.
- The award is for unpublished writing, including online publication.
HOW TO ENTER
Entry is via: https://meniscusliteraryjournal.submittable.com/submit/58621
Please go to the AAWP website aawp.org.au for further information, available under News (Opportunities) or Journals (Meniscus).
The entry fee is AUD $20.