Take part in our Writers Prize in partnership with AAWP!
If you are an emerging writer based in Australasia, take note! In partnership with the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP) we are offering a once-in-a-lifetime Prize.
Take advantage of this stunning opportunity to celebrate the craft of writing at South East Asia’s largest and most exciting literary festival. Be welcomed in to the thriving community of writers within the AAWP. Enter your short story or poem and take advantage of this generous publication pathway and networking opportunity for emerging writers.
The winner of this Prize will receive a ticket to Ubud Writers & Readers Festival (UWRF), accommodation for the duration of the festival and $500 towards economy airfares. In addition, you will receive a one-year annual membership to the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP) and fully subsidised conference fees to attend the annual conference of the AAWP, where you are invited to read from your work. In addition, the editors at Meniscus will consider your work for publication.
Sound good? Browse the ins-and-outs below and get writing!
Conditions of Entry
- This competition is open to emerging writers across Australasia. Emerging writers will not have a full-length, single-authored, commercially published, print publication in any genre. Emerging writers who have published in electronic format only, or who have published work in collections showcasing multiple authors, are eligible.
- The Prize opens on the 21st January 2016 and closes at midnight on 30th May 2016. Late submissions will not be accepted. The winner will be announced on the UWRF website and the AAWP website no later than 30th August 2016.
- Entries should not exceed 30 lines (poetry) or 3000 words (prose).
- Entries should respond to the UWRF theme. The 2016 theme is ‘Tat Tvam Asi’ which is a Hindu concept meaning ‘I am you, you are me’.
- The entry should be formatted as follows — line spacing: 1.5, font size: 12 point, font: Times New Roman.
- You may enter as many times as you wish. Subsequent entries incur a separate fee.
- Any entries that do not follow the rules will be disqualified. If an entry is disqualified no refund will be given.
- Entries may not be altered after they have been submitted.
- The UWRF/AAWP reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches the rules.
- The judges’ verdict is final. No correspondence or discussion.
- The award is for unpublished writing, including online publication.
How to Enter
- The entry fee is AU$20. The entry fee must be paid directly to the AAWP using PayPal. Go to the AAWP Homepage: http://www.aawp.org.au Payment can be made under ‘MAKE A DONATION’ using the ‘DONATE’ link.
- Entry is via email to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with your surname in the subject line (e.g. Emerging Writers’ Prize Kennedy).
- The body of your email should include the following information: your name, your preferred contact details, the PayPal transaction ID for the entry fee (this will be sent to your preferred email address after payment has been made via PayPal).
- Your entry should be attached to the email, and uploaded as one Word document (.doc.docx). The file name should be identical to the title of the manuscript. This title should appear in the header on each page of the attachment. Pages should be numbered.
- Your submission should be written in English and formatted as follows: line spacing: 1.5, font size: 12 point, font: Times New Roman.